Real World Experience To Help Launch Your Career
As an interactive marketing company, we work with businesses every day seeking help to promote their product or services using a variety of multi-media formats. We feel our approach to web design is different in that we go beyond just putting together an attractive design with effective code to make it work. We actually take time to learn the character of our customers and look at their website as a reflection of them with us telling their story. This leading-edge approach often requires a variety of skills to complete – both technical and creative.
In today’s market, larger companies will employ several individuals bringing together a variety of both technical and creative skills to participate on a developmental team to support their clients. Smaller companies seek out individuals who are multi-talented, capable of managing both the technical and creative. In either scenario, two things can help you stand out among other applicants: your ability to communicate to effectively to others and an understanding of the bigger picture.
Our program is designed to help students in these areas. With our approach to web development, each student will observe the process and development of both the technical and creative functions. Depending on their particular skill-set; students will participate where appropriate (either technical or creative). They will experience first-hand both inter-team and client communications giving them the ability to build confidence and professionalism. Additionally, since we work with a business to develop their overall online strategy; students are also exposed to a variety of marketing techniques and strategies effective in today’s online market giving a broader scope of experience.
Web Design Intern Position
Undergraduate students who qualify for this opportunity will be assigned a Mentor; someone from our team who will offer additional training, coaching and industry knowledge as it relates to your project and/or your area interest. This Mentor will also be your Project Manager who will identify the overall scope of work, assign your tasks, and ensure quality for client delivery. You will be assigned specific tasks that will require your ability to complete them either with your Mentor or independently within the identified production schedule based on your experience. You will be required to effectively communicate any creative concepts, potential functionality solutions or challenges, and participate in inter-team communications to log progress of project. Because a variety of skills are utilized in developing a website, students seeking degrees in Marketing, Communications, Graphic Arts, Multimedia Marketing, Web Design or Programming are encouraged to apply. Web development is typically completed within a 6 week time frame as long as all parties (including the client) stay on task. Students should expect to allow for up-to 10 hours per project which includes meetings and production time. This work can be done virtually, but those who can meet locally in the St. Peters, Missouri area typically have a more rewarding experience.
Team Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Managing Client Contact / Customer Service
- Identifying Web Design Strategy
- Perform Keyword and Market Research
- eMail Marketing Integration & Design
- Project Management
- Content Writing
- Search Engine Optimization
- Analytic Reporting
- Graphic Design
- Server Setup
- Website Development
- Must be currently enrolled in a Marketing, Communications, Graphic Arts, Multimedia Marketing, Web Design, Programming or similar Degree Program in a College or University within the United States, or at least 16 years of age and participating in a Home School or Community Youth Program.
- All selected Interns are required to sign a Work Agreement that identifies your role and acceptance of the policies we work within to support our customers.
Preferred Skills For Applicants:
- Strong command of the English language
- Familiar with Microsoft Office Applications
- Comfortable with Internet Navigation
- Skilled in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator a plus, but not required
- Knowledge of HTML, XML, PHP, CSS and MySQL is helpful, but not required
- Experience in Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and similar Social Media Platforms helpful
- Knowledge of WordPress a plus, but not required
- Positive attitude and interest to learn and contribute ideas to projects
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to provide your own Laptop Computer for hand’s-on independent work sessions (PC or MAC)
- Ability to meet weekly for briefing, training and/or updates (can be done virtual)
- Detail-oriented, positive, and reliable
Benefits & Compensation
Internship opportunities include both paid and non-paid opportunities dependent on the project available at the time of application. Benefits to the Student include:
- Work off-location around your school schedule.
- Hand’s-on experience participating on a web development project.
- Unlimited Q&A with an industry professional / Mentor.
- Exposure to strategic development and other online marketing techniques.
- Experience with inter-team and client communications.
- Opportunity to link the finished product to your professional portfolio.
- Mentor feedback to improve portfolio.